Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Lips Are Sealed...Just Like Your Legs: My reactions to Glee's 'Sexy' episode



Rather than writing a long blog recapping the whole episode- I’m just going to share a few of my reactions from tonight’s Glee. After a stellar first season, I hate to say it, but I feel like Season 2 of Glee has kind of hit that “sophomore slump.” Every episode has been a little hit or miss to me and tonight was no exception. There were definitely some parts that I loved, but there were also parts that really annoyed me. In order to make this more efficient I'm just going to break the episode up into sections- here goes:

The Music:
The music tonight wasn’t that great. I have to admit, when Matthew Morrison broke out into Prince I felt EXTREMELY awkward. I’m sorry but Mr. Schue should not be singing falsetto. He was trying so hard to sound like a girl that when Holly took over I couldn’t even tell that Will wasn’t singing anymore. Also it was kind of weird that Will made a big deal about turning ‘Kiss’ into a “tango.” Yes...he and Holly did dance the tango to it, but I was expecting more of a remix. Really it was just the same old Prince song with a little risqué-ness thrown in here and there.

Also, I normally love everything that the Warblers sing….but I was not a fan of tonight’s number. I absolutely love the song ‘Animal’ and I kind of felt like they ruined it. I don’t know…perhaps my love for the original song is kind of skewing my perception of their cover, but it just felt off. And like Mr. Schue singing ‘Kiss’, seeing Kurt singing ‘Animal’ just made me feel awkward. I know we were probably supposed to laugh at his facial expressions, but they just scared me.

The one song I did like was ‘Landslide.’ Sidebar: It makes me really sad to see that people seem to think 'Landslide' was done by the Dixie Chicks...especially when Holly called it a Stevie Nicks song towards the end of the episode. So to all who are unaware, 'Landslide' was originally written by Stevie Nicks/performed by Fleetwood Mac. It was later COVERED by the Dixie Chicks. That is all. I thought that it sounded really good and I loved the emotion behind it. Naya (Santana) did an EXCELLENT job performing it. You could tell how much emotion Santana felt during the number and I love how that culminated in her meaningful conversation with Brittany…but I’ll talk more about that later.

Puckerman & Lauren:
Okay, I get what Glee is trying to go for. They want to show us that Puck has grown as a character and is no longer going after what is considered “hott” by normal standards. I love Lauren and I love that they are trying to implement that type of storyline, but I’m just not buying it. His attraction to her seems way too forced, and after being turned down so many times I doubt Puck would keep trying to woo her so forcefully.

Kurt & Burt:
I LOVED Burt in this episode. Glee has done a really good job developing Burt Hummel throughout the past two seasons. I loved that despite being resistant to the idea of talking to Kurt, Burt ended up being the one to initiate the conversation. Normally Kurt has to persuade his father to talk about these kind of topics. But when Burt saw that his son really couldn’t handle this topic he took the lead even though it must have made him REALLY uncomfortable. Father of the year for sure.

Santana & Brittany:
I really enjoyed this storyline. I loved that Glee let us see a different side to Santana. Santana is always a bitch but it’s never explained why. I loved seeing her become more self aware tonight. That conversation between her and Brittany was wonderful, and it really made me feel for Santana. I love Artie and Brittany, but Brittany and Santana would be an excellent match too.

The Guest Stars:
The guest stars were WONDERFUL. I think Holly (Gwyneth Paltrow) constantly nails her role as Holly Holliday. I feel like she provides flavor, especially considering how bland Will is half the time. She just never fails to make me laugh and actually seems like a teacher the kids could go to (even if she is REALLY inappropriate most of the time).

Carl (John Stamos) didn’t have a very big part tonight but I liked that he finally had enough of Emma’s wishy-washy attitude. When Emma admitted that she was confused about her feelings for Will, I half expected Carl to go easy on her like he always does. This would have thoroughly pissed me off because they are married now and she shouldn’t still be questioning her feelings. Luckily Carl got pissed and walked out which was refreshing to see. Also, I'm not going to lie- I probably thought his performance was amazing because I tend to think of him as a god...I mean, he's John Stamos...come on.

Rachel vs. Quinn:
This little charade is getting a bit old to me. They are constantly fighting over Finn, and while it was interesting last season, right now it just feels stale and idiotic. With all of the build up between Rachel and Finn last year the “Finchell” relationship made sense to me. It seemed like Finn had only been with Quinn because of superficial reasons, and that during last season he had actually grown up and developed something real with Rachel. His newfound interest in Quinn makes absolutely no sense to me. I get that they are each other’s “first loves,” but really…what kind of connection Quinn and him have?

Final Thoughts
Overall I am going to have to rate this episode as a LOSS. Burt, Holly, Santana and Brittany were all great. However, considering Burt and Holly aren’t even main characters, I just don’t really consider this episode that strong. So now let me ask all of you- what did you think about tonight’s Glee? Did you like the storylines? Did you like the music? Comment below.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't really like this episode. "Landslide" was well done, but I couldn't understand how it symbolized Santana's feelings for Brittany. Plus is Brittany just staying with Artie because it'd be mean to break up with him, or is she staying with him because she loves him more than Santana? I dunno.

    A more miss than hit episode in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so sorry if i bother you guys but could you just explain for me what "like your legs" means in the dialogue "my lips are sealed like your legs"? thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "like your legs" thing was a joke that Holly made at Emma's expense. It was a dig at the fact that Emma has not had sex with her husband despite them having been married for four months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you about the "Kiss" performance. I got second-hand embarrassment from most of the episode, but this was one of the peaks of that embarrassment. I was looking down at my computer during part of the song, and I too was confused as to who was singing what. I find it hard to believe that someone thought that sequence was a good idea.

    I didn't care for the Warblers' cover of Animal either. I was kind of shocked at how bad it was, and it was so far from the "sexy" they were going for.

    ReplyDelete