Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Caleb Rivers...friend or foe?: Recap of this week's Pretty Little Liars 'Someone to Watch Over Me'


Normally I do a Monday night review of How I Met Your Mother and/or Castle.  Well since that obviously isn’t going to happen tonight, I’m instead going to write about another one of my Monday faves, Pretty Little Liars.

I haven’t written about Pretty Little Liars in awhile now and since I last blogged about the show, a lot has happened.  My last blog talked about the dance-a-thon that the girls went to (yes I know it was THAT long ago).  At that point I was still rooting for Lucas (who by the way has seriously just DISAPPEARED) and Hanna.  Well ever since that episode Caleb has weaseled his way in to my heart, and I’ve become obsessed with him.  He and Hanna have so much chemistry.  And that shower scene a few weeks back…well that was just awesome J

So anyway I’ve started to ramble on about Caleb because he’s hott in order to talk a little about this week and what I think might happen.  You know there are only 3 episodes left after tonight and the season finale is supposed to be QUITE the shocker from what I hear.  So I’ve been looking at everything that’s been happening a bit more critically- especially stuff with Caleb.

Last week a lot of relationship developments occurred.  Toby kissed Spencer (SO cute), Emily and Paige had a date, Aria confessed some deep stuff to Ezra, and Hanna lost her V card.  Yes you read that correctly…one of the liars had sex. This is why I love ABC Family; there is simply no holding back!  So naturally since Hanna decided to jump in the sack with Caleb it can be assumed that she was starting to really trust him. So OF COURSE the writers had to throw in a twist in the end and show Caleb talking to some “mysterious person.” And that’s where this episode took off.

This week Caleb is seen arguing with the mysterious person on the phone again. Caleb tells the person “No I can’t do it tonight…because I say so…because I’m living in her house!” Okay Caleb you're definitely pretty…but come on kid.  You're basically yelling on your phone in the middle of a SCHOOL. And clearly you are yelling about something you don’t want others to hear. So do you really expect people not to eavesdrop?! And in ROSEWOOD for that matter?! Well naturally people did overhear his conversation, and guess who?! Yep Aria and Emily…and guess who they went running to with this information?? Duh, Hanna.

Earlier in the episode Hanna is seen putting some food in her boy’s backpack. In true Pretty Little Liars style, Hanna finds a potential secret and decides to take a peek (you would think she would know better by now than to go snooping through someone else’s things) To her delight she finds a beautiful owl which she assumes Caleb is planning on giving to her.  Hasn’t Hanna ever learned that assuming only makes an ASS out of people? Anyway, she goes and tells the liars all about the owl.  When they question why Caleb would give her an owl Hanna explains that it is “symbolic of their first night together” (which I thought was hysterical).

So when Aria and Emily tell Hanna that they overheard Caleb talking to some mysterious person about not betraying the person he is currently living with (aka HANNA), Hanna goes into full on denial.  I mean why would she assume that this boy she just slept with, this boy who is planning on giving her an OWL, would ever try and hurt her? Hanna tries to tell Aria and Emily they must have heard Caleb wrong.  But suddenly Hanna’s hope is shattered when the liars’ arch nemesis Jenna walks in….with the owl around her neck.

Hanna immediately tries to reach Caleb who conveniently does not pick up his phone for the rest of the day.  The liars try to figure out why on earth Jenna would have that owl, and finally Spencer sees something unforgiveable.  That “owl” that Jenna got from Caleb was actually a flash drive with God knows what information (Spencer sees Jenna taking the Owl off the chord around her neck and plugging it into her computer). Spencer reports this to Hanna and the rest of the liars, and it becomes pretty clear to all of them- Caleb has been spying on Hanna.

Having had enough, Hanna marches over to Caleb’s locker and leaves him a note saying to call her.  Now a few episodes back, Toby gave Spencer a piece of paper with an odd message on it. The paper was from Jenna’s room, and Toby thought that if Spencer decoded the message she might be able to figure out if Jenna was up to anything. The message said “214” and the girls have been trying to figure out what this number means for the longest time. Last week, Toby and Spencer thought it might have been a motel room, but their guess only led to a dead end.  So having this number in her head, Hanna decides to try to open Caleb’s locker with it….and the combination works.  That piece of paper that Jenna had, had merely been the combination to Caleb’s locker which meant one thing….Caleb had DEFINITELY been working with Jenna and for AWHILE at that.

Finally Hanna confronts Caleb and he tries to explain to her that he never gave Jenna any real information.  He tries to apologize but Hanna won’t have it, and Caleb ends up taking his bags and leaving.  Towards the very end of the episode Hanna is seen crying in the bathroom, obviously feeling pretty betrayed by the boy she thought she knew.

Okay as I said earlier, the past few episodes have REALLY made me like Caleb.  So knowing he has been spying on Hanna was definitely a bummer. BUT- I still don’t think he was really doing it to harm Hanna.  I believe everything Caleb told Hanna.  I might be biased because I have a tiny crush on him…but I don’t know, he just doesn’t seem evil to me.  So my question of the week is this: Do YOU buy what Caleb told Hanna? Do you think he’s innocent? Or do you think he is connected to A??

Also- I know I didn’t really mention many of the other storylines from this episode- but for the people who did watch it- what the hell was with Ian trying to get Spencer to leave town? He’s such an ass.  I keep doubting he’s A…I think it would be too obvious, but why else would he have volunteered to help Spencer leave?? Chime in below!

BTW I give this episode a win! It was definitely suspenseful and kept me engaged.  This season has really been getting good lately, and I really hope the season finale is truly as shocking as everyone says it is!

2 comments:

  1. I love Caleb! I am going to trust him for now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb is awesome!! I wish Hanna would take him back!

    ReplyDelete