Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

PLL: That Was Supposed To Be A Dance-a-thon Right?


Weird fact about me: When it comes to TV shows I can often let big things slide.  However, little things can really, really bother me.  For example, I love the High School Musical films (don’t judge).  The reason I like them so much is because they fit into a category I refer to as SBIG (So Bad It’s Good).  I’m sure you all have TV shows and movies that fit into that category too. Come on everyone has their guilty pleasures!  When things reach a certain level of ridiculousness (i.e. in HSM when all the characters magically  know all the words to every song) I realize “Okay this is just how this story’s universe works.  For the overall film to work it has to happen this way.” But when things are unnecessarily stupid- then it starts to get on my nerves.

There are plenty of things in Pretty Little Liars that I let slide.  For example, the girls could have taken evidence to the police how many times now?  And if I was in their position I would go to my parents or someone that could help protect me.  Yeah they all have “secrets” but people are dying here.  Anyway, even though the fact that they haven’t gone to any adults yet is well…stupid, deep down I realize that if the girls did that the mystery would be solved faster and the show would end.  So I realize that this dumb thing has to happen in order for the show to work.  So okay I’m cool with that. 

What I’m not cool with is when the writers mess up on small things that could 1) easily be fixed 2) would not hurt the plot if done differently.  For example, in the most recent episode the Pretty Little Liars were supposed to be at a DANCE-A-THON.  Now I’ve never gone to a dance-a-thon myself but I’ve seen plenty on TV.  I’m a die-hard Gilmore Girls fan and I’ve seen the episode where Rory and Lorelai enter the Stars Hollow dance-a-thon more times than I can count.  So despite my lack of personal experience, I have learned by now that the object of a dance-a-thon is to continuously dance

Now you probably know what I am going to ask next- how many times during that episode did the girls stop dancing?!  I felt like dancing wasn’t even important and that kids could just come and go on the dance floor whenever they pleased.  I probably wouldn't have thought much of it but the writers even included two scenes where people explained the rules of the dance-a-thon.  Scene 1: When Aria’s mom explains to Aria’s dad how the dance-a-thon works.  Scene two: When the students are told that chaperones would be making sure students were dancing the whole time.  So what was with the girls getting to take constant breaks and being able to leave whenever they deemed necessary?  The writers could have done a better job with that….Yeah I know in the big scheme of things this isn’t a huge deal, but that is why it bothers me!   How hard would it have been for the writers to have made the dance a different theme?  How hard would it have been to have the girls get a certain number of breaks and to work those breaks in like the writers did in Gilmore Girls?  

So while I do love PLL there were certain parts of the last episode that just seemed off to me.  People have also pointed out that the video at the end of the previous episode (Know Your Frenemies) shows Allison falling to the ground with her wrist and bracelet visible to the viewer.  When that same video is replayed at the start of the most recent episode (Careful What U Wish 4) when Allison falls to the ground she is instead wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and her wrist is not visible.  To me this is just sloppy.  So unless there is a major reason behind it I feel like the writers could have done a better job.

So all in all I rate this episode as a TIE.  I did like the story going on and I thought the girls did great in it.  I especially loved seeing Aria get jealous.  But those little things just irritated me a bit too much for me to rate this one a win.  Does anyone agree?  Or am I just being nitpicky?  Were there any parts that bothered you?? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I loved that episode of Gilmore Girls! And I wonder if the writers showed two different versions of the video where Allison falls on purpose...it seems too major to be a goof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While watching this episode, I was also annoyed that the girls had different opportunities to go to the police or tell an adult and didn't (even though I know it is necessary to fit in with the plot).
    I don't remember exactly the video of Allison from season 1, but I think the difference in the two videos may be on purpose to reveal more information or hint clues. If it doesn't lead to anything, then yes, it is just sloppy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may have missed the part where in PLL they said you get paid a certain dollar amount per dance, so it sounds like it was on the honor system, but it wasn't a constant you have to dance type of thing. I have seen the Gilmore Girls episode too so I know what you're talking about and I agree that dance-a-thon made more conventional sense but I think this was more of a raise money event than a win a trophy event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh thank you for the insight! That does make more sense...I probably did miss that part. Most of the episode I was busy freaking out about what Ian might do/trying to round up more clues to figure out the identity of 'A'.

    ReplyDelete