Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Why Couldn't She Just Like Boats?: Recap of Tonight's HIMYM ('Garbage Island')


Some news was released today that a hint about the wedding from ‘Big Days’ (yes the one where Ted meets the mother) would appear in tonight’s episode, ‘Garbage Island’.  I was watching for it the entire episode. Now I know the writers of HIMYM can be extremely subtle at times.  I also understand that the writers know how obsessive people in their fan base can be (i.e. yours truly).  So while looking for this “clue” I tried to not be closed minded about it. But obviously when the episode started with Wendy the
Waitress I started asking myself if maybe the wedding in ‘Big Days’ was hers.  However, when Ted failed to even recognize who Wendy the Waitress was, I immediately discounted that thought.  I mean, you would think he would remember who got married in a wedding where he was the best man.  Anyway after discounting Wendy I began searching for something else…or rather someone else.

Now don’t get me wrong I definitely still paid attention to the main story.  And good thing I did because the audience was told a lot of big things about a few of our main characters. First of all we learned that Ted does NOT marry Zoey.  Wendy asks Ted right away if he is still with Zoey and he laughs it off.  He even mentions that things between him & Zoey got pretty ugly towards the end (I wonder what’s going to happen to them…perhaps a duel between Ted and The Captain?).  Second of all we find out that Barney is finally ready for a relationship.  Okay, okay maybe not ready, but he is willing to explore the possibility of a relationship (BIG step for the Barnacle).  Lastly we are told that Marshall is no longer content working for GNB and wants to pursue his dream of saving the planet.  

All of these things are pretty significant, but to me none of them really spell out a “clue” about the wedding in ‘Big Days.’  At the end of the episode, it looked like a big clue might get dropped….Ted begins to talk about the wedding and a flashback begins. HOWEVER stupid Wendy cuts him off, saying she has to go.  Obviously this was just a joke on the writers’ part (I mean do you really think the writers would just lay out the entire wedding scene for us right now?) but it was still kind of mean!

Anyway looking back at the episode, I now have a theory about the clue- and it doesn’t have to do with Wendy, Barney or Marshall.  I might be WAY off base, but this is my blog, so yeah I’m just going to share my crazy ideas with you guys.  In tonight’s episode Ted visits The Captain twice (obviously not on purpose…he is only trying to collect Zoey’s things).  Both times The Captain ushers Ted to his study and complains about the mustached man that stole Zoey from him.  In the second visit The Captain even accuses the doorman (who happens to have a mustache) of stealing Zoey and grabs his flails (yes flails) with the intention of seeking revenge.

Sidebar: Is it just me, or does Zoey clearly have a thing for men with flails?  It’s already strange enough that Ted owned a flail, but The Captain owns TWO? I apologize if you own a flail- I am not trying to insult your people.

 Ted is able to calm down The Captain and explain that The Captain & Zoey really were not the best match.  Ted reminds ol ‘Cappy that Zoey doesn’t even like boats.  And once Ted says that, this piece of dialogue happens:

The Captain: Why couldn’t she just like boats? Just to have ONE thing in common. Other girls like boats don’t they?
Ted: Of course they do! And you’ll find one. And you’ll be much happier with her than you ever were with Zoey.
The Captain: If you put it that way I should almost thank the doorman.

Of course as Ted is leaving, he finally reveals to The Captain that the doorman was not the man who stole Zoey, Ted was. Immediately after this confession Ted bolts for his life.  Interestingly enough, we don’t see The Captain go after Ted.  Most people probably assume we don’t see The Captain chasing Ted down because Ted got a running head start.  I personally believe we don’t see The Captain because he never chases Ted.  I think instead that The Captain stays in his big leather chair, reflects on what just happened, and realizes that like the doorman, he should be thanking Ted.

Now in the above piece of dialogue it is hinted at that The Captain will one day find someone else. As we have already learned previously The Captain has no friends. So here is my crazy theory: maybe the wedding we see is The Captain’s.  It would make sense to me that The Captain would meet someone else, be so grateful to Ted for breaking up him and Zoey, and would ask Ted to be his best man.  After all, The Captain clearly is a bit crazy (which I LOVE about him).  I also like thinking that the wedding is The Captain’s because then it would make sense why Zoey is so crucial to the story.  Stella was important because she led to Ted getting a job as a professor (which according to Ted was a big part of why he meets the mother).  Maybe likewise, Zoey is important because she’ll lead Ted to a wedding.

So there you have it; that’s my theory.  The Captain remarries with Ted as his best man, and Ted meets his future wife at the wedding.  Now there are some holes in this theory.  Like why are Marshall and Lily there?  Well like I said The Captain has no friends, so maybe he invites Ted’s friends to tag along.  Another hole though is, even if Lily “tagged along” why would she be a bridesmaid?  Well, we still don’t know for sure if the dress Lily was wearing was a bridesmaid dress.  And even if it was, we still have absolutely no idea who the bride is.  For all we know The Captain could marry Lily’s best friend from elementary school.  Anyway my point is, although this theory is kind of far out- I still think it’s a possibility. Plus it would be fun to have Colonel Mustard be “the clue” J.

Overall I give this episode a WIN.  While I don’t think it was a strong as the past few episodes, I do think it advances the storyline a lot.  Because of this I think ‘Garbage Island’ was more positive than negative.

So what did you guys think about tonight’s episode? What do you think “the clue” was?  Chime in below with your thoughts!  

3 comments:

  1. I like that theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Nora like boats?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoey is not the mommy wohoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! I hate hate hate hate her. She was ruining the show. I hope she is gone for good.

    ReplyDelete