Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

THE DOCTOR IS BACK – SO I AM TOO



DISCLAIMER: If you've been watching Doctor Who forever, and already know the general concept, feel free to skip past the light blue sections.




Hi everyone, I’m back! Can’t promise for how long…but alas I am here. I admit, life got SUPER busy…and writing got pushed to the back shelf. When I started this blog, I was unemployed and had all the time in the world for it. I absolutely LOVED that. Unfortunately, one has got to make a living, and now that I am employed and planning a wedding (just got engaged!) I just haven’t had the time. But…when I can muster up the energy, I’d like to still write a post every now and again. And if I’m lucky…maybe you guys will continue to read them ;).

Now, as many of you have probably seen on Twitter, TV makes me EXTREMELY ENERGETIC (seriously check it out -> @thetvreferee - I get a little insane at times).  Anyhoo there is a show in particular that tends to make me bounce off the walls…and the fact that it is FINALLY BACK is what has led me to come back too. Any guesses for what that show is? …what? You’re telling me I already gave it away in the title?? WHAT? I even mentioned it in the disclai-- damnit! I have really gotta get used to this blogging thing again…

But yes, yes that show is DOCTOR WHO. On September 1st IT’S BACK BABY, and I am SO freaking excited I am scared I might combust.  Now if you are sitting there staring at this wondering who the hell this “Doctor Who” guy is get the fuck off my blog let me give you a BRIEF explanation (all you Whovian vets can just skip to the bolded ANYWAY).

Put in the simplest way possible, Doctor Who is about a 900 year old alien who travels around in a blue box saving the world from destruction (and unintentionally causing some himself). Many people get intimidated by Doctor Who because it’s been on for so long (the 50th anniversary is quickly approaching) but in truth the show is constantly changing, and that one sentence is all you really need to know.

If you feel that my sentence did not suffice however, here is a longer but still BRIEF explanation from the genius that is Nial Gaiman:

“People are intimidated. They think that there’s 47 years worth of stuff they need to know before they can enjoy anything. And what you want to say is, No. Look, there is a blue box. It is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. It can go anywhere in time and space and sometimes even where it’s meant to go. And when it turns up there’s a bloke in it called the Doctor, and there will be stuff wrong and he will do his best to sort it out and he will probably succeed, because he’s awesome. Now sit down, shut up, and watch “Blink.”

What’s "Blink"? Well that's deserving of it's own post - so I'll have to address it at some other point. For right now just consider it a term synonymous with awesome.

ANYWAY so DW is back, very VERY soon, and BBC America has just released a TRAILER that seriously makes me...well watch it and then I’ll explain:

This piece of dialogue RIGHT HERE:

“How much trouble are we in right now?”
“On a scale of one to ten…eleven.”

Pretty sure I can already gaurantee that I will forever list that as one of my favorite Doctor Who quotes. Why? Well, you know when you’re watching something, and you feel like you can predict what a character is going to say, so you start SCREAMING in your head what you hope it is, and then swaying uncontrollably until said character is done speaking and you know whether or not your were correct?! No? Just me? ...ah well...as I was watching the trailer and Matt Smith spoke the line “On a scale of one to ten...” I was literally screaming in my head “SAY ELEVEN, SAY ELEVEN!“  (and yes I'm sure I was uncontrollably rocking back and forth too). So when he actually did say eleven, I just about died.

Now for those of you who don’t understand the importance of the Doctor saying eleven, again get the fuck off my blog  let me explain it to you. In Doctor Who, the Doctor is constantly “regenerating” (changing forms). This is why the show has been on for so long - because (as I said before) everything is constantly changing on the show - including the Doctor himself. Since the Doctor doesn't ever say his name (hence Doctor WHO) fans typically address the different doctors by their numbers. Matt Smith happens to be the ELEVENTH person in the role, which for all intents and purposes makes him "eleven," hence my freakout at his use of the word eleven :).

Now hopefully the actual episode will make me just as happy as that trailer did. Only time will tell (and now Asia is stuck in my head...) but I’m willing to bet that it will. I’ll keep you guys posted. In the meantime, if you are a Whovian yourself (extreme fan of Doctor Who), please feel free to flail about in the comments just as I did in this blog post.

Oh and newbies - I love you guys too, I can just be a bit snarky at times ;). Seriously though, if you would like to know anything else or have any Who related questions (or non-Who related questions for that matter!), leave a comment too, and I’m sure the Whovian vets will be more than willing to help you out! And if comments aren't your thing, you can always drop me a line on my contact page :)

T minus ONE WEEK!!!

Allonsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment